Friday, April 6, 2012

Red Pine Elementary School 2012

It's Thursday morning and Nancy and I drive into the parking lot at Red Pine Elementary School in Eagan, Minnesota, to do three Farm Heritage Programs for second-graders. This will be our third consecutive year visiting Red Pine in April when they study nonfiction books and farming. I eagerly anticipate having fun doing my shows at Red Pine because students and staff make my visit a special event.

Though office personnel are busy as we walk into the school office, they greet us with smiles and seem to recognize us and anticipate our needs by contacting Mary Kate Nelson, the teacher who has arranged our visit every year. Mary Kate is here in seconds and helps move our equipment into her room, which is already set up for my program.

We take part in the Pledge of Allegiance as school begins. Teaching moments start immediately as we listen and watch the television monitor where an adult explains the importance of getting outside and being physically active. Then two students give the school announcements. They're pretty good at it too.

Here is the first group waving to Nancy as she takes a picture near the end of my program, which included my book, If I Were a Farmer: Nancy's Adventure. Mrs. Nelson is seated at the left.
Second group waving at Nancy.

Third group waving to Nancy.

Performing for second grade students at Red Pine was as I anticipated, a joy and an education, for the students teach me something every year. I hope I provided them with the same experience.

I want to thank everyone at Red Pine for having me visit their school, especially Mrs. Nelson who arranges my visit every year. Nancy and I always look forward to it.

Photographs by Nancy A. Fredrickson

No comments:

Post a Comment