Friday, October 21, 2011

Ecumen Pathstone Living

On Wednesday Nancy and I enjoyed the scenic drive down Highway 169 to Pathstone Living in Mankato.
Recreation Director Linda McDonald had invited me to do a program for the Kiwanis Club meeting, and although Linda was not present, many kind people welcomed us and helped us get settled, including Miranda, Megan, Diana, and Leah, who introduced me to the group before I spoke.
Ecumen Pathstone Living is a really fine facility, and the residents I talked to praised the care and the care givers.
Rex told me stories of farm life.

Ken and LaVerne came early and chatted with us.


Bernie, who farmed near Henska, MN,  told me that when she heard the program was about farming, she had to come to see if I told the truth. After the show, she told me with a smile, "You got it right."
Many in the group stayed after the show to tell Nancy and me their farm stories, including Donald and Myrtle Frederickson (not a relative) and Rachel Wellmann. 

Most of the stories told by residents revealed a childhood on the farm that was filled with hard work and some difficult times mixed with some positive experiences. They all could easily relate to the hard work of the family in my story A Farm Country Picnic and to the cows getting out when the family was about to take few hours off to go fishing after a rainstorm.

Nancy and I thank Linda McDonald for inviting us to visit Pathstone and all the care-givers who helped us set up. We especially thank the residents who so kindly took time to chat with us and share their stories. We enjoyed listening to them so very much.
We wish you all the best.

Photographs by Nancy A. Fredrickson 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for your kind words on Ecumen Pathstone Living. We have great team members and customers there, and we're very glad you enjoyed it.

    Eric Schubert
    Ecumen

    ReplyDelete