Saturday, July 28, 2012

MVHL Summer Day Camp

Monday morning Nancy and I made the two-hour drive to Morton to do a show for the Minnesota Valley History Learning Center Summer Day Camp.















We arrived at the Morton City Hall by 11:00 AM to set up our equipment for a noon show, which would include my story, If I Were a Farmer: Nancy's Adventure.

















The children would be going into grades 1-4 this fall and were an energetic and fun group. They sat on a ledge inside the town hall while we set up and this gave Nancy and me a chance to talk to them a short time.





The children seem to love attending the day camp where they learn about the environment and have fun with their friends.
 On Monday they sat on the floor, ready to learn a little about farming.

The kind, hard-working staff members attended the show too.

The children laughed at my father's antics with the cow's tail.
 They held up two fingers when I demonstrated how to teach a newborn calf to drink from a pail.
And they eagerly waved to Nancy as she snapped a photograph.


Honestly, I don't think I have ever performed for a happier group of children, but after all, it is summer and time to have fun while you learn, and it seems that MVHLC Summer Day Camp provides just the right agenda.
 The children were already happy, but when they found out that their camp was providing each of them with a free book for his or her very own, they seemed thrilled. Of course, so was I.
 Each child could chose any one from four of my titles. Then they lined up for me to sign them.

I enjoyed doing the show very much and Nancy and I enjoyed visiting with students and staff.
I thank all the staff members for allowing me to do my show during the summer camp, and I especially thank Summer Day Camp Coordinator Angie Colwell for inviting me, arranging my visit, and arranging to purchase a book for each child. After they received their free books, I told the children I would be depending on them to save the book and pass it on to their children some day so Farm Heritage would be preserved.

Photographs by Nancy A. Fredrickson

No comments:

Post a Comment