Friday, July 1, 2011

Something Cool To Remember

Since I expect it to be hot today, I get up early and take care of my outside work so I can get into the house by 3:00 PM, the hottest part of the day. Now, I sit in air-conditioned comfort as I write, while my new thermometer, which I got for Christmas last year, reads about 96 degrees in the shade of my porch. Nancy tells me of a FB posting of 100 degrees in a town nearby.

Sure I like the outdoors, but when it is really hot or really cold, I prefer to be inside.

Let me remind you of cooler times. On Monday, February 21, 2011, I sat at this same station, feeling pretty smug about being cozy and warm as a snowstorm raged outside. Many people had to go to work, but since it was President's Day, many people could stay home.

As the day passed, I started to feel a little less smug as the drift outside my window grew to be a bit intimidating, and I feared that I would have to shovel snow off the roof when the storm eased up.
Pictures above and below show the view outside my window next to my computer. My rose bushes are somewhere under the drift.


From the outside, it looks like a stalactite and a stalagmite formation in a cave. The stalagmite drift from the ground might grow to meet the stalactite drift peeking over the edge of the roof.

In this picture you see that the wind kindly blew the snow off the roof, leaving me very little to shovel.

I handled all my snow removal with the tractor. I even drove over my rose bushes and blew out the drift by my window.

It didn't seem to hurt the rose bushes because they are doing very well this year,  as long as I remember to water them in this heat.


Photographs by Nancy A. Fredrickson

2 comments:

  1. Kind of nice to view these images on a day when it's hot and humid and I'm sitting in my air conditioned office. But then again, I can wait a few more months before I want to see snow again. It was quite a winter, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was, indeed. And now it's quite a summer! This morning Nancy and i go out to pick green beans in the "cool" morning air. We enjoy it, but it's pretty hot already at 8:30 AM, and I hate to pick any earlier because of the dew.

    ReplyDelete