Saturday, April 16, 2011

St. John's Steppingstones Preschool in Savage,MN

As Nancy and I set up our equipment to do a show on my book If I Were a Farmer: Nancy's Adventure, just a few feet away from us Steppingstones Preschool teachers successfully continue with lessons in their farm unit with 3-4 year-old students. I watch and listen and marvel at their ability to retain the focus of the students.  You can't let up on your energy for a moment with this age group, even as cute as they are.
Below, students in the first group ask questions after the show. Many of the teachers wore bib overalls today, including Mrs. Pfeiffer standing buy the door.

I did a morning and afternoon show on Thursday, April 14, and a morning and afternoon show on Friday, April 15. The students were fabulous! In fact, this was the first time I've encountered groups of students this young who actually knew how to call cattle the way farmers call them. "Come, Boss. Come, Boss."
Second group of students

Third group of students

Below, group four turns to wave and say "Hi" to Nanc as she snaps their picture.
Students line up patiently to take their turn to feel the oats in the coffee can.

All the groups showed patience and curiosity throughout the shows. Usually, during what is supposed to be "question" time, students this young will tell stories about their animals or their grandparents' farm. I like to listen to the stories because I know storytelling is important to everyone, but these students created and asked more original questions than I've ever experienced with kids this young. The parents and teachers should be proud.
I'd like to thank all the teachers for having me do my show in their classrooms, and I especially thank Mrs. May for arranging the event.

Photographs by Nancy A. Fredrickson

No comments:

Post a Comment