Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tweeten Health Care, Spring Grove, MN


Instead of driving home after the Sunday afternoon show at Spring Valley, Nancy and I decided to stay overnight at Preston because we had scheduled two shows nearby on Monday, April 18, one in Spring Grove and another at Mabel-Canton School.
On Monday afternoon we arrived early at Tweeten Health Care, Spring Grove, and set up in a large room. Palma (right) and Rollie (left) visited us. Rollie talked about his hometown in South Dakota and Palma talked about farming. "It was hard work but we had fun too," she said. 
As in many nursing homes where almost everyone in the audience is immobile and limited in movement of hands and even facial expressions, I work extra hard to elicit reactions. Although they seldom clap or laugh loudly, their subtle smiles and nodding heads spark my desire to do my best. 
Rollie is seated up front and to my right so he can tilt his head up and view my show from his left side.
Many stayed to chat after the show and after most had left, Rollie wheeled himself over to me. I knelt  down to make eye contact, and he talked more about farming and explained the layout of the businesses in the small town he where he was raised. "The town had a population of about 20, including the dogs," he said. Rollie had a keen sense of humor. He decided to buy his nieces the Halloween book instead of the Christmas or Thanksgiving stories because "...they have lots of books about those holidays."

Palma's three-year-old great grand daughter, Olivia, enjoyed the company of everyone and checked out our poster and the books.
The staff and residents at Tweeten Health Care treated us warmly and we had fun doing the show. I want to thank Gloria Oakes-Speltz for inviting us and we hope we can return soon.

Photographs by Nancy A. Fredrickson


2 comments:

  1. Reading about your interaction with Rollie made me cry. Really, Gordon and Nancy, you are doing so much more than sharing your books and stories. You are reaching out, touching young and old with your care and concern that comes from the heart. We should all emulate you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Audrey. When these old-timers ( I use that term with with great love and respect for people who have seen and done so very much) watch and enjoy our show and then tell me they like our books, I think you know how good it makes Nancy and me feel. We "get" as much or more than we "give."

    ReplyDelete